ANGRY CHESTER residents have hit out after the cold weather saw waste collections in some areas cancelled and bins left on the street for days on end.
Hoole residents have expressed their dismay at the situation, claiming that Cheshire West and Chester Council did not adequately prepare for the inclement weather and the effect it would have on waste collection.
The council has received complaints from people whose bins have yet to be collected, with one Hoole resident claiming a van was sent out to collect only his rubbish as he was the only one who telephoned to complain.
Malcolm Brownlie, of Juniper Court, Hoole, said: “Our rubbish was due for collection on Friday but, because of snow, we had no collection. I telephoned on Monday morning to inform them the whole of Juniper Court had yet to be collected and I was informed we would be put on a missed collections list. I called again on Tuesday and they informed me I would have my rubbish collected within 48 hours.
“A hire van was sent out to collect only my rubbish. I went outside with my wife to ask them why they were only collecting my waste and they told me it was because I was the only one who phoned to complain. It just takes the biscuit.”
The snow and ice during the weekend created hazardous driving conditions on many roads and side streets, but residents have accused council chiefs of possessing a lack of foresight.
Householders had been advised by the council to put out their bins on set days and leave them out until mopping up crews could deal with the missed collections.
Steven Williams, of Myrtle Grove, Hoole, said: “This isn’t Canada, is it? The council cited adverse weather conditions for the reason for the non-collection but it is their responsibility for the roads and infrastructure and they should have made sure these commonplace and key services will be able to continue as normal. That is what we pay our council tax for, isn’t it? It has been a case of poor management by our council. My bins are yet to be emptied and I’m sick and tired, as I suspect many people are, with having to ring up the council and ask why I am still waiting for the mopping up operation to begin.
“It is not the fault of those on the end of the phone, it is the mess those up above are making and it’s not on. There has been nobody following up these calls. The council decided to chuck a bit of grit around after the event, but that seems a case of shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted.”
The £125 million contract for waste collection services in the city was awarded by CWaC to May Gurney in April 2012, but has been beset by problems since the introduction of their Recycle First scheme, with residents complaining of missed collections and complicating sorting procedures.
A council spokesman said: “We apologise for the error which occurred due to haste in wanting to respond to calls to the Council regarding missed collections.
“We are trying to catch up as soon as possible with missed collections because of the bad weather and would ask people to leave containers out to be collected.”