ad

Man charged with murder of April Jones

Published date: 08 October 2012 |
Published by: Dominic Robertson
Read more articles by Dominic Robertson


Man charged with April's murder 

A 46-year-old Machynlleth man has been charged with the murder of the missing five year old April Jones.

Dyfed Powys Police confirmed the Crown Prosecution Service had charged Mark Bridger with the murder of April Jones along with further charges of child abduction and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Iwan Jenkins , District Crown Prosecutor from the Crown Prosecution Service, told reporters that a detailed review of the evidence gathered by Dyfed Powys Police had led him to the decision there was sufficient evidence to charge Mark Bridger with April Jones' murder and that it was in the public interest to do so.

He said: "The Crown Prosecution has been in close contact with Dyfed Powys Police as their extensive investigation into April's disappearance has developed. In particular, we have been offering advice and guidance to the police since the suspect Mark Bridger was arrested last Tuesday.

"My role is to examine the evidence that is currently available and advise the police in respect of charges.

"I now have to advise that, having carried out a detailed review of the evidence gathered so far by Dyfed Powys Police, my conclusion is that there is sufficient evidence to charge Mark Bridger with the murder of April Jones, and that it is in the public interest to do so. 

"I have also concluded that there is sufficient evidence to charge the defendant with attempting to pervert the course of justice and child abduction."

He added that Bridger will appear before Aberystwyth Magistrates Court on Monday morning.

He also appealed to the media not to take any action which could undermine Bridger's right to a fair trial.

He said: "The huge public and media interest in this case is understandable. I would just like to stress that, whilst Mark Bridger stands accused of serious criminal charges, he retains the right to a fair trial. I would therefore ask that nothing is placed in the public domain that may undermine the criminal justice process."

Chief Constable Jackie Roberts said the force would now continue its meticulous hunt to find April.

She said: "Now that Mark Bridger has been charged with this horrific crime it is time to let the judicial process take its course and time to let the family come to terms with what has happened over the last week. In the meantime our efforts to find April will be as meticulous as they have been from the outset of this enquiry until we have exhausted all available options."

Superintendent Ian John added: "Despite today’s announcement we are maintaining the momentum of the search and we remain totally focused and committed to finding April."

 

Featured Businesses

View all adverts