ad

Call for clampdown on cyclists using pavements

Published date: 25 June 2012 |
Published by: Hayley Collins
Read more articles by Hayley Collins

Andy Walton

A SHOPKEEPER who has been run over three times by speeding cyclists is calling for police to take action.

Andy Walton, owner of Premier Discounts in Shotton, says he has been hit three times in three months outside his shop on Chester Road West.

Mr Walton, who has owned the shop for 12 years, says cyclists speed down the pavements posing a danger to pedestrians.

He said: “It most recently happened last Monday when I stepped out of my shop and someone ran in to me. I’m in and out of my shop during the day and it happens quite a lot.

“The lady on the bike was going that fast, she ran in to me and then went over the handlebars.

“She then gave me a lot of abuse for not looking where I was going and I told her she shouldn’t be riding on the pavement. I shouldn’t have to be looking out for cyclists when I’m on the pavement.”

Mr Walton suffered a neck injury when he was hit by a cyclist two months ago.

“Someone is going to be seriously injured one day,” he added.

“If it was an elderly person or a child that was hit by these speeding cyclists they could be seriously hurt.

“I have spoken to the police about it and they can hand out tickets.”

Mr Walton said there is also a problem with teenagers riding BMX stunt bikes with no brakes along the pavements.

He added: “To stop them they have to put their foot on the back tyre, they shouldn’t be allowed to use these stunt bikes on the roads and pavements.

“If I was driving my car without brakes they would throw the book at me.”

It is illegal to cycle on pavements unless there is a sign indicating a shared use cycle path and cyclists defying the rule could be given a fixed penalty notice.

A spokesman for North Wales Police said: “The local Neighbourhood Policing Team will be patrolling this area and dealing with anyone who commits any offences.”

You must be a registered user to leave a comment. Register or login here.

1. Posted by: S7uaj at 08:59 on 26 June 2012 Report

I agree I was in shotton yesterday 25th June in my van stopped at the crossing , people were crossing and a cyclist flew down the middle of the traffic and weaves through the pedestrians like a slalom course, iI couldn't believe it! I banged onmy window at him and pointed at the red light he just flicked 2 fingers and rode off. Cyclists have no respect for any road laws whatsoever

2. Posted by: greg2512 at 09:26 on 26 June 2012 Report

surely if you can manage this 3 times in 3 months you must being doing something stupidly wrong yourself. most peolpe can go their whole lives without this happened even once. And S7uaj, which bit is it you agree with? Because this whole story is about people riding bikes on the pavement yet your comment seems to be about something they are doing wrong on the road where people are wanting them to ride?

3. Posted by: quaylad at 09:47 on 26 June 2012 Report

greg2512 it just seems like your looking to squabble, the fact (and story) is that cycling on the path is illegal and the shopkeeper was 'stepping out' of his shop. It would be like a cyclist darting past your front door as you step out of the house

4. Posted by: greg2512 at 11:08 on 26 June 2012 Report

Not at all Quaylad. I do agree they should not be on the path, but to get run over 3 times in 3 months by cyclists takes some doing, surely you must agree with that.

5. Posted by: penyffordd_district at 11:43 on 26 June 2012 Report

When exiting our front gate in Penyffordd you step onto the pavement without looking at your peril. Dead easy to get taken out by some young person hammering along the path on their bike. I think we need bike calming on the pavement lol.

6. Posted by: klingpin at 19:06 on 26 June 2012 Report

was walking through the town centre only the other day minding my own buisiness only to be set upon by the basket and front end of a mobility scooter, needles to say i wasnt very happy but could only smile and laugh when the short sighted pensioner exclaimed excuse me young man do mind being more carefull where you walk in future!! these are a bigger menace than the cyclists i see around town.

Featured Businesses